Re: *-config programs and multi-arch

I earlier wrote:
> However, the current state, where it pretends pkg-config is present,
> when it really isn't in a useful way, just fools the configure script
> into doing the wrong thing.
>
> AFAICT, the easiest way to handle all this is just to make a missing
> cross-pkg-config look like a missing pkg-config to the configure
> script.  Then whatever logic the script may have for detecting the
> "not pkg-config at all" case, will do the right thing for the cross
> case too.

BTW, if such a change isn't made (though I'd be very curious to know
why -- is using a non-cross pkg-config _ever_ useful when
cross-compiling?), I think there would still need to be a way for
configure scripts to detect this situation (a non-cross pkg-config
chosen while cross-compiling).

Currently I just have my configure script completely disable use of
pkg-config when cross-compiling (by setting PKG_CONFIG=""), but
obviously this is undesirable if a cross-version of pkg-config was
actually found...

Thanks,

-miles

--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!