Re: *-config programs and multi-arch

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 at 16:53:26 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
> > Your cross-toolchain is supposed to set up a symlink from
> > /usr/bin/$triplet-pkg-config to /usr/share/pkg-config-crosswrapper which
> > will then DTRT.  That's the idea at least, I haven't actually tested
> > it.
>
> How is one supposed to make pkg-config use this feature?
>
> I mean, say I do:
>
>    ./configure --host=muckey-muck-muck --build=my-host-type

With the symlink Tollef mentioned, that should be all you need. Recent
versions of pkg.m4 use AC_PATH_TOOL, so they will try to run
arm-linux-gnueabi-pkg-config (if arm-linux-gnueabi is the host triplet) in
preference to pkg-config; if arm-linux-gnueabi-pkg-config in your PATH is a
symlink to pkg-config-crosswrapper, the right thing is meant to happen
automatically.

If the depending package was last autoreconf'd with an older version of pkg.m4,
it might need an autoreconf to pick up the newer, multiarch-aware version.