Re: *-config programs and multi-arch

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 at 19:52:01 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> of course since there isn't an "x86_64-w64-mingw32-pkg-config"
> program, instead it just uses the normal pkg-config

That's the missing piece of the puzzle: some sort of cross-toolchain package
(which doesn't exist yet in Debian - but neither does a cross-gcc)
should make the symlink

    x86_64-w64-mingw32-pkg-config -> /usr/share/pkg-config-crosswrapper

in your $PATH. For the moment, making that symlink is part of the process
of installing a cross-toolchain manually.

> It seems to me that the right thing in this case (no host-prefix tool
> is found) is simply to act as if pkg-config was not present at all,
> instead of using the non-host-prefixed version.

Well, it does give you a warning... perhaps the warning should default to
being fatal, but it's basically the same situation as any other missing
cross-tool (e.g. if you had a cross gcc but no cross ld). autoconf currently
stumbles on regardless, in the hope that your non-cross (build-arch) tool
is somewhat compatible with the host arch (e.g. if you have binutils-multiarch,
your normal copy of nm is intended for the build arch, but is probably
also able to deal with your host arch).