On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 08:50:39PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> 2/ The discussion is also about better supporting testing using t-p-u more
> extensively to bring important fixes (or important new upstream versions)
> that are blocked in unstable. It would be unreasonable to ask Debian
> developers to support testing and rolling.debian.net in parallel.

Indeed. Personally, I believe it would also be unreasonable to ask DDs,
and indeed the release, security, and FTP teams to support testing and
rolling. Especially before it has been proven to be negligible extra
effort.

> For all those reasons, I believe the only sane way to go forward is to
> discuss with the release team to identify what needs to happen so that
> not freezing testing can become a serious possibility.

For reference, speaking as a RM but not on behalf of the entire release
team, I believe that the amount of work you are seemingly trying to
prescribe on other people means that I cannot support this proposal in
its current form. I understand the desire not to freeze, although I
think we disagree about the importance of having a high quality release.

> To better structure the discussion, and make incremental progress, Sean
> and me have decided to draft a DEP on this topic.

A complete aside: I have yet to see DEPs being anything but a structured
way to bikeshed. However, if you wish to go down this route, feel free.
This does bring me full circle back to the start of my mail - if you
want to push this, that's fine. But please don't try and make extra work
for others.

Thanks,
Neil
--
< linuxpoet> rails is a perversion
< mc> someone who use pgsql as calculator shouldnt talk of perversion.