On 04/30/2011 05:46 PM, Arno Töll wrote:

On 30.04.2011 16:48, Andreas Barth wrote:
Actually, it worked quite well for both volatile and backports to
start as a non-official service. As well as building packages in
non-free. And lots of other stuff which was implemented.

Why shouldn't it work for rolling.d.n?

I didn't say r.d.n should start as official service immediately, I
said one should give interested people the possibility to provide a
reliable service to prove their idea works.

This is a bit different than backports.d.o, which is a pure optional
 service extension to traditional repositories. If there is a
backport for a certain package good, if not: no problem neither from
a conceptual perspective. However for a rolling distribution one
would not provide some packages in addition to those regularly
available through repositories, but provide official maintainer
uploads from unstable after a while /and support them/. At least the
latter calls the original maintainer to account again, even outside
of freeze periods and perhaps in a more timely manner as Sid
requires this by people by now.

Don't get me wrong, I don't claim this wouldn't be case by now
already and many maintainers do a great job anyway. My point is that
Raphaels approach needs itself a certain service level in order to
provide the same service level to rolling users itself. This is, in
turn what you call from him in order to accept a potential rolling
branch. How should he though, if people are not willing to help at
least passively which gives him a chance to provide a good service?

Testing was implemented outside Debian's infrastructure before becoming
official too. I don't think it's different from "rolling", especially
when all the work is already done (migration scripts, etc…)

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/