Re: network-manager as default? No!

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:03:40 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 08:22:53AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Le jeudi 14 avril 2011 à 08:00 +1000, Ben Finney a écrit :
>> > I think it is wrong, based on the fact expressed in these threads
>> > that NetworkManager can, by default during upgrade, bring down the
>> > network connection.
>>
>> This argument has been rehashed again and again, without ever
>> confronting it to a reality check.
>>
>> Since this bug has been fixed several months ago, can we move on now?
>
> For the record, this was (at least) bugs #432322 and #439917, and I'm
> extremely pleased that the issues have been resolved.  Well done and
> thank you to all involved.

And 415196.

> Could those thread participants who have gripes from their last NM
> experience many years ago please confirm that their gripes still apply
> before continuing with the discussion?

felipe@pcfelipe:supercollider% apt-cache policy network-manager
network-manager:
  Installed: 0.8.3.999-1
  Candidate: 0.8.3.999-1
  Version table:
     0.8.998-1 0
          1 http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main amd64
Packages
 *** 0.8.3.999-1 0
        500 http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
felipe@pcfelipe:supercollider% sudo aptitude reinstall network-manager
The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
  network-manager
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and
216 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/1,102 kB of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
Reading package fields... Done
Reading package status... Done
Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
(Reading database ... 219815 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace network-manager 0.8.3.999-1 (using .../network-
manager_0.8.3.999-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement network-manager ...
Setting up network-manager (0.8.3.999-1) ...
Reloading system message bus config...done.
Stopping network connection manager: NetworkManager.
<oooops, wifi connection gone>
Starting network connection manager: NetworkManager.
Processing triggers for man-db ...

Should I file yet another bug for the same thing? This bug (and
variations thereof) have been closed when

1. Network downtime was minimized (by restarting in postinst instead of
stop in prerm and start in postinst), not eliminated.
2. NM was taught not to bring down DHCP and static connections.

Apparently not bringing down the interface and then picking it up on
start is not easy to do. There is still a bug, though.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler