Re: network-manager as default? No!

On 04/03/11 19:08, Fernando Lemos wrote:
On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:11 AM, martin f krafft<madduck@debian.org>  wrote:
[...]
last I checked, for instance, it was not possible to hook up two
network cards with DHCP.
[...]

Hmmm I do have two network cards and they both get IP addresses with
DHCP as I would expect (when they both are enabled).

Anyways, I don't think NM is the right solution for all proposed use
cases right now for a number of reasons:

It also can't do VLANs (.1q), bridges, bonds and all possible permutations of the above. I'd speculate that it also wouldn't be able to do things like 1k (or more) interfaces. It also doesn't support hooks to be able to do more advanced setups, such as multihoming, policy routing, QoS, etc.

And, above all, losing the network configuration, even for a second, just because you restarted a daemon (or that daemon died) shouldn't be acceptable for the primary network configuration of our distribution.

Regards,
Faidon