Re: Proposed pre-depends addition: all multiarched libs -> multiarch-support

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 07:31:49PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 12:36:05AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Specifically, the plan is that any package in wheezy shipping a runtime
> > library in a multiarch directory should declare a Pre-Depends on the
> > metapackage 'multiarch-support'.  This package will be built from eglibc
> > source, and for each architecture it will depend on the appropriate version
> > of libc that implements support for the corresponding multiarch lib
> > directory.[1]
>
> > I'm reasonably confident that we have this right, having discussed this with
> > the release team and tested it under "live fire" in Ubuntu; but as Jonathan
> > Nieder rightly points out in the policy bug, policy asks for Pre-Depends to
> > be discussed on debian-devel, not just on debian-release.
>
> > Does anyone see a better way to achieve this result, that I've overlooked?
> > Will adding this pre-depends on multiarch-support cause any problems that we
> > haven't yet identified?
>
> So we have a consensus of one here on the list?  I should make a point of
> always bringing up policy proposals in parallel to ongoing threads about
> network manager, apparently it's the easiest way to meet the requirement for
> posting to debian-devel without having to actually discuss anything ;)

Well, what did you expect? This is a rather complicated thing to assess,
and you've discussed it already with those who are well versed regarding
such issues. In fact, when I first read your intentention to add a
Pre-Depends on a large amount of packages, I figured that quite a lot
can break. We all know how Pre-Depends makes it harder for apt* and dpkg
to find a sensible order. But, since I cannot try it here *and* you
already included the maintainers of dpkg, eglibc, etc. and the release
team, who am I to object to their assessment? IOW, I guess you can read
the lack of responses as silent nodding...

(And now it's even easier to start a flame war about the knowledge of
aforementioned well versed developers. :-P)

Hauke

--
 .''`.   Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org>               www.jhr-online.de
: :'  :  Debian Developer                                 www.debian.org