Re: Proposed pre-depends addition: all multiarched libs -> multiarch-support

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 12:36:05AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Specifically, the plan is that any package in wheezy shipping a runtime
> library in a multiarch directory should declare a Pre-Depends on the
> metapackage 'multiarch-support'.  This package will be built from eglibc
> source, and for each architecture it will depend on the appropriate version
> of libc that implements support for the corresponding multiarch lib
> directory.[1]

> I'm reasonably confident that we have this right, having discussed this with
> the release team and tested it under "live fire" in Ubuntu; but as Jonathan
> Nieder rightly points out in the policy bug, policy asks for Pre-Depends to
> be discussed on debian-devel, not just on debian-release.

> Does anyone see a better way to achieve this result, that I've overlooked?
> Will adding this pre-depends on multiarch-support cause any problems that we
> haven't yet identified?

So we have a consensus of one here on the list?  I should make a point of
always bringing up policy proposals in parallel to ongoing threads about
network manager, apparently it's the easiest way to meet the requirement for
posting to debian-devel without having to actually discuss anything ;)