Re: Proposed pre-depends addition: all multiarched libs -> multiarch-support

> One of the things that held up the deployment of multiarch-friendly
> library packages in Debian was the recognition that the host triplet
> used on i386, i486-linux-gnu, was not suitable for cross-distro
> standardization because it encodes information about the current default
> optimization that we've chosen for our toolchain.

> After much soul-searching, a solution has been agreed upon that will let
> us use i386-linux-gnu as the multiarch path component on i386.  This
> solution should be codified shortly in Debian policy via bug #619186,
> and it has been signed off on by the dpkg, eglibc, and gcc maintainers.

> Now the trouble is that, owing to a case of poor timing, neither the gcc
> nor the eglibc in squeeze supports looking in /lib/i386-linux-gnu - they
> only support looking in /lib/i486-linux-gnu.  So any library that is
> unpacked to /lib/i386-linux-gnu becomes invisible to ld.so unless a
> newer ld.so is unpacked first.  And since Depends only guarantees
> configuration order, not unpack order, that means Pre-Depends... for
> every library that is migrated for multiarch.

This sounds very similar to how the X.org transition was handled for all
binaries that were using the old, now-retired directories, and I don't
recall Pre-Depends in particular causing anything to explode there.  Also,
Pre-Depends on glibc is less risky than Pre-Depends on a lot of other
things, since glibc is generally already configured very close to the
start of any apt or aptitude run.

So, in short, it seems fine to me.