Re: Back to technical discussion? Yes! (was: network-manager as default? No!)

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:
[...]
> It does have system-global config file. But the settings are not
> expected to be there. By default the settings are expected to be in the
> user directory (has this changed since 0.8?). So I won't easily find it
> when I want to e.g. change configuration as root. This is unlike wicd
> that keeps everything under /etc/wicd .

NM, prior to 0.9, had system-wide and user-specific connections. Those
user-specific configurations were replaced in 0.9 by system-wide
configurations with permissions. The system-wide connections are
always (even prior to 0.9) in /etc as you'd expect.

I use NM with system-wide WiFi connections only. I create the system
wide configurations through a collection of scripts I've assembled
(since the other NM command line clients were either broken at the
time I tried them or not powerful enough) and NM automagically picks
the right connections for me when I'm on the road.

Regards,