Re: Back to technical discussion? Yes! (was: network-manager as default? No!)

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 07:33:31PM +0530, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 04 avril 2011 à 10:39 -0300, Ben Armstrong a écrit :
> > But the average laptop user really does have a hard time with the
> > status quo. Something needs to change in the next release.
>
> I think squeeze already does a lot better, but there is still work to
> do, especially with the installation process.
>
> On my personal wishlist for wheezy is d-i actually calling NM behind the
> scenes to configure the network, instead of ifupdown. I’ll definitely
> try to find time to hack on this.

Do you plan also to hack on network-manager itself so that it might
become at least remotely reasonable alternative to ifupdown, or do you
simply plan to follow the way redhat went, i.e., network manager as it
is, even on server installations?

Sould not there be an option to select between the old network
configuration and NM?

--
Stanislav