Re: Back to technical discussion? Yes! (was: network-manager as default? No!)

On 04/04/2011 10:06 AM, Dmitry E. Oboukhov wrote:
> There is only one thing that can be used without reading a manual. It
> is a breast. All the other devices (and things, substances, etc)
> required to be studied.

While this paraphrase of a familiar quote may be applicable when taken
in context (in reference to user interfaces) it is not applicable here.
Some *basic* familiarity with computer user interfaces is, of course,
needed to use Debian. If you can type on a keyboard, know how to use a
mouse to click icons, know what menus and folders are, how to start
programs from menus and icons, well, I think you're off to a good start.
That stuff, unlike the nipple, is all learned.

The point is, assuming at least basic familiarity with computers, no
user should be *unable* to use Debian without having to first read a
manual! They should be able to boot a Debian system and right away start
using it productively. Inability to connect to a (often wireless, these
days) network is a show-stopper. Without a network, many users will not
be able to accomplish *anything* on Debian.

Now, NetworkManager seems to have delivered the goods, here, at least
for the common use scenarios I typically see for new users. That's what
makes it a good default. I say that without denying that for users
comfortable with other methods, NM may be totally unsuitable, but I
think for the majority of users, NM makes a better default.

Ben