Re: /run support for wheezy?

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 01:10:29PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:20:45PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > 1) /etc/init.d/mountall.sh is broken for some reason.  The "mount -a"
> >    invocation fails.  Not because it fails to mount, but it returns a
> >    32 exit status because / and /proc are already mounted.
> >
> >    Possibly a result of the mtab.sh domtab() changes; but it should be
> >    behaving identically to the old version, so possibly unrelated.
> >    Possibly already broken and I've just exposed a bug?
>
> If it is what I think it is then I have already filed this bug.
>
> The problem arises because the initramfs mount for proc differs from the
> one listed in /etc/fstab. The mount then decides that something else is
> mounted on /proc and gives an error. The problem is that initramfs uses
> "none" as device while mountkernfs / fstab use "proc".
>
> > 2) Despite only mounting /run once, I'm seeing /run and /run/lock mounted
> >    *again* looking at /proc/mounts.  Unsure why this happens, or if it's
> >    just artifactual.  /run, /run/lock and /run/init are all correctly
> >    visible, but this is a tad strange.
>
> Any bind mounts you forgot about?

Both of these issues were due to /etc/mtab being inconsistent with
reality.  I've now corrected the code to make domtab() behave
identically to domount() to ensure that they are always working
in the same manner.  Once /run is established, I wonder if moving
/etc/mtab to /run/mtab would be feasible, since it would mean this
complex and hairy setup could be dropped entirely.

The patches for base-files and initscripts have now been tested on
linux and freebsd and are TTBOMK good to go.  GNU/Hurd might also
need some special casing adding--if any Hurd developers would care
to check over the changes that would be great.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh