Re: /run support for wheezy?

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:

> Am 03.04.2011 13:10, schrieb Goswin von Brederlow:
>> Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:
>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:20:45PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
>>> 1) /etc/init.d/mountall.sh is broken for some reason.  The "mount -a"
>>>    invocation fails.  Not because it fails to mount, but it returns a
>>>    32 exit status because / and /proc are already mounted.
>>>
>>>    Possibly a result of the mtab.sh domtab() changes; but it should be
>>>    behaving identically to the old version, so possibly unrelated.
>>>    Possibly already broken and I've just exposed a bug?
>>
>> If it is what I think it is then I have already filed this bug.
>>
>> The problem arises because the initramfs mount for proc differs from the
>> one listed in /etc/fstab. The mount then decides that something else is
>> mounted on /proc and gives an error. The problem is that initramfs uses
>> "none" as device while mountkernfs / fstab use "proc".
>
> Is there a good reason why /proc is in /etc/fstab but all other API fs are
> mounted by initscripts directly?

Because proc does it right and all others wrong, for historical reasons.

> I'd prefer if we removed /proc from fstab by default (on new installations)

Having the pseudo FSes in fstab has advantages:

1) Easy to see what gets mounted where
2) Easy to adjust the options
3) Easy to mount when booting with init=/bin/sh is required to fix
   breakage. E.g. when fixing my raid having /proc/mdstat comes in
   handy.

The initscript already support having the filesystems in /etc/fstab. It
just doesn't have them there by default. Instead it uses hard to find
and partially undocumented variables from multiple files to do some
magic.

I would like to have the filesystems added to /etc/fstab at least as
comments so it is easy for users to uncomment them to e.g. change the
size of the tmpfs without first having to search through the boot
scripts to find out how the filesystem magically gets mounted and where
the size variables come from.

MfG
        Goswin