Re: Old Release goal: Getting rid of unneeded *.la / emptying dependency_libs

On 2011-04-03, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
>> .la files themselves are harmless, if the dependency_libs field is
>> cleared.
>
> Harmless, but are they actually then useful?

I just gave a example on where it is not only useful, but required.

>> There might be hard to replace old copies of libltdl in various code=20
>> pieces that can only open libraries/plugins with .la files.  src:kdelibs
>> (which is about to be removed from debian) is one such example. I don't
>> know if there is others.
>
> At least if we drop the low-hanging fruit of all the other packages
> which package .la files without libltdl complications, it would be
> easier to see if it is hard to replace old copies of libltdl or not.

I tried replacing the old copy of libltdl in kdelibs some years ago. I
got it easily building, but everything stopped working, I knew what to
do about getting everything working, but I ended up giving up because it
was too much work.

/Sune