Re: Old Release goal: Getting rid of unneeded *.la / emptying dependency_libs

On 2011-04-03, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> I'm now getting patches from Ubuntu to catch up the effects of this old
> Release Goal. I fully support the removal of .la files [0] but it would
> be good if we could refresh the original goal so that .la files can be
> removed rather than applying a piece-meal set of patches to only
> certain packages which have been spotted independently. That way leads
> only to pain.

.la files themselves are harmless, if the dependency_libs field is
cleared.

There might be hard to replace old copies of libltdl in various code
pieces that can only open libraries/plugins with .la files.  src:kdelibs
(which is about to be removed from debian) is one such example. I don't
know if there is others.

/Sune