Re: Lintian check for missing desktop files?

On Sun, Mar 06 2011, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 04:22:01PM -0800, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>         Do you have concrete data to add here, apart from speculation? I
>>  would be interested in such data (as the once and perhaps future
>>  maintainer of fvwm in Debian).
>
> I have no idea whether it is pure speculation or wrong intuition.  I
> accept your argument as insider that the menu function in fvwm is
> actually used by some users.

        Thanks

> However, the other arguments to prefer desktop files over menu files
> remain valid unregarded this fact and there was also a solution
> suggested in this thread for fvwm users.

        Agreed.

> So the point remains: We should start issuing lintian warnings about
> missing desktop files where it makes sense to be able to start a
> smooth transition.  These files will be needed in any case if we
> might want to get rid of Debian menu completely, provide conversions
> or just leave menu files untouched.

        If I recall correctly, there was some objection to creating a
 desktop file for every menu file that exists, have those objections
 been withdrawn (if memory serves me, the objection was to the sheer
 mass of menu files for applications and docs that did not make sense in
 a GNOME/KDE menu like hack or worm)? If not, are there criteria lintian
 will use to warn about some menu files not having a desktop file, and
 not others?

        manoj
--
Old programmers never die, they just become managers.
4096R/C5779A1C E37E 5EC5 2A01 DA25 AD20  05B6 CF48 9438 C577 9A1C