Re: Lintian check for missing desktop files?

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:18:58AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> What happened to the idea that debian/menu files can be converted to
> desktop files, maybe not during package build but as a tool for
> maintainers?

The idea is as good as its implementation proceeds. :-)
IMHO a tool for maintainers would be appropriate for this problem.

Regarding the lintian check the criterion

  menu-file-but-no-desktop-file

could make sense as well.

> Do we have any idea how many packages would trigger this new check?
> (and how many of those do have debian/menu files?)

I have no idea about both numbers.  I just have noticed that several
packages in Debian Med maintenance are lacking a desktop file even if
they would deserve one.  Charles Plessy some years ago was quite active
in providing those files.  I assume that other fields might have similar
coverage of desktop files.

> My particular concern is that debian/menu is not as easily translatable
> as desktop files. The "title" displayed in whatever menu is used should
> always be translatable IMHO.

Yes.  I fully agree.  This is IMHO the strongest reason why I do not
believe in automatic conversion menu -> desktop.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de