Re: Lintian check for missing desktop files?

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 14:46 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:18:58AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> >
> > What happened to the idea that debian/menu files can be converted to
> > desktop files, maybe not during package build but as a tool for
> > maintainers?
>
> The idea is as good as its implementation proceeds. :-)
> IMHO a tool for maintainers would be appropriate for this problem.
>
> Regarding the lintian check the criterion
>
>   menu-file-but-no-desktop-file
>
> could make sense as well.
[...]

I think it's crazy to expect maintainers to provide both menu and
desktop files for everything.  That information should be provided once
only, in whichever format is the more expressive (I think that would be
desktop files, possibly with some Debian-specific extensions).  Triggers
and per-WM hooks should take care of any conversion required at
installation time.  Let's make that a release goal for wheezy instead of
perpetuating these parallel menu systems.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings