Re: Ruby changes for Wheezy

OoO En  cette fin  de matinée  radieuse du dimanche  06 mars  2011, vers
11:40, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> disait :

> Note that, for applications written in Ruby and packaged in Debian, we
> will make sure that they work no matter what /usr/bin/ruby points to (if
> necessary, by forcing the shebang to ruby1.8, and installing the correct
> dependencies). What might break is software manually installed by users.
> I don't see how that situation is different from the Java one.

This is  also what is done  with Python.  We get  very little complaints
with this. However, maybe the Python roadmap is easier to understand and
less applications get broken when upgrading to a new major version.

Breaking applications that are  installed outside of the package manager
is bad  but it  is far less  worse than breaking  applications installed
with the package manager.

>> > Anyway. We are early in the wheezy release cycle. If switching ruby
>> > implementations using alternatives turns out to be a bad idea, we can
>> > switch back to the former approach at some point. And we will arguments
>> > to reply to users who currently want it.
>>
>> Do you really need to break hundreds of user systems just to make a
>> handful of whiners happy?

> I am under the impression that it's not "a handful of whiners", but that
> the consensus in the Ruby community is that we should switch to
> alternatives.

Do they really understand that alternatives may break a lot of things on
user systems? By reading your blog, I understand that the Ruby community
(or a  part of it) does not  really understand that Debian  does want to
provide  a robust  way  to  manage applications.   If  the user  install
software X written in Ruby  with apt, then uses "update-alternatives" to
switch Ruby  version and then software X  is broken, it seems  we are to
blame  because  using  update-alternatives  should not  break  installed
softwares.
--
Program defensively.