Re: Ruby changes for Wheezy

On 06/03/11 at 10:43 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 06 mars 2011 à 10:10 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> > I prefer the situation where we empower users to make the switch if they
> > decide to, to the situation where we arbitrarily decide that users
> > should use Ruby 1.8 with no ability to change this (and get bug reports
> > for that). Note that for the upstream Ruby developers, the stable branch
> > is 1.9, not 1.8.
>
> You are just going to empower users to shoot themselves in the foot.

What if users want the ability to shoot themselves in the foot?

Also, you seem to assume that Ruby 1.9 is completely broken. That's not
true. A lot of things still work after switching from 1.8 to 1.9.

Anyway. We are early in the wheezy release cycle. If switching ruby
implementations using alternatives turns out to be a bad idea, we can
switch back to the former approach at some point. And we will arguments
to reply to users who currently want it. See:
http://kangaroobox.blogspot.com/2009/12/switching-ruby-platforms-on-debian.html
http://blog.alexn.org/2010/02/working-with-multiple-versions-of.html
http://krnjevic.com/wp/?p=209
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/209014