Re: Ruby changes for Wheezy

Le dimanche 06 mars 2011 à 10:10 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> I prefer the situation where we empower users to make the switch if they
> decide to, to the situation where we arbitrarily decide that users
> should use Ruby 1.8 with no ability to change this (and get bug reports
> for that). Note that for the upstream Ruby developers, the stable branch
> is 1.9, not 1.8.

You are just going to empower users to shoot themselves in the foot.

You get to decide what the default version should be. If upstream thinks
1.9 is the stable branch, then you need to take appropriate steps to
make it the stable branch.

Another approach, which is used by Python packages too, is to create an
alternate ruby-defaults version in experimental (or any other
repository) that changes the default version. But this way it can be
changed with the appropriate support in dependencies.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :