Re: potential MBF: first alternate depends not available in main

* Holger Levsen [2011-02-28 16:05 +0100]:
> piuparts in master-slave mode currently cannot test packages which first
> alternate depends is not available in main, ie the secvpn package depends
> on "adduser, bc, ssh, ppp, timeout | coreutils (>= 7.5-1), sudo" and timeout
> is only available in lenny and etch, thus piuparts cannot test secvpn in
> squeeze, wheezy and sid. That's a bug in piuparts.
>
> Another popular example is a depends on "apache | apache2"...

Martin Pitt implemented a script[1] that tests for a similar package
relationship problem in Ubuntu main[2]:

| All build and binary dependencies (including Recommends:) must be
| satisfyable in main (i. e. the preferred alternative must be in main).

> But, anyway, I believe that the first depends of an alternate depends relation
> should be available in main and propose to file bugs about this.
>
> Do you agree this warrants a mass bug filing? I couldn't find this written out
> in policy ...

If the is a consensus, it could be added to the developer's reference or the policy.

Regards
Carsten

 [1] http://www.piware.de/2011/01/new-tool-to-check-support-status-of-dependencies/
 [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMainInclusionRequirements