Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

Hi Joerg,

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:05:27PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

> Attached below is a tentative agenda. This is an unsorted list and we
> might not get to every point. We might also have missed any number of
> points, if so feel free to tell us about them.

One other item I'd like to submit for the ftp team's consideration is
multiarch support.  The plan for initial multiarch deployment calls for all
architectures to remain self-hosting, but it's not too early to start
thinking about how multiarch might be used in support of partial
architectures in the archive, or how this could solve the problem of arch:
all packages that can only be built on one architecture (which got a passing
mention up-thread).

And although for the most part the roll-out of multiarch is intended to be
backwards-compatible and a smooth transition, there are two small extensions
required to the package relationship fields in order to deploy a full
multiarch stack in the archive.  The archive software doesn't need to
*support* these extensions in the context of a self-hosting port, but
anything that parses deps or build-deps (dak?, sbuild, wanna-build) should
recognize these extensions and strip them off:

 - Depends: foo:any - an extension used to declare that foo of any
   architecture satisfies the dependency.  The archive and official
   autobuilders should treat this as equivalent to 'Depends: foo'.[1]

 - Build-Depends: foo:native - an extension used to declare that a
   build-dependency must be satisfied using the package for the build arch,
   not the host arch, when cross-compiling.  The archive and official
   autobuilders should treat this as equivalent to 'Build-Depends: foo'.[2]

I'm happy to file bug reports against the appropriate components if that's
the right thing to do here; I'm raising it on the list first because I'm not
sure whether dak is actually affected, and if so whether ftp.debian.org is
the right place to report the issue.

Happy hacking,

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec [2] http://bugs.debian.org/558095