Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Philipp Kern wrote:
> Do we have an idea how much more memory xz needs for decompression?  I guess
> it wouldn't be feasible to switch dpkg's default on package builds on those
> architectures where we assume some more beefyness?

It depends on what compression level we use, this is in the manpage:

              The following table summarises the features of the presets:
                     Preset   DictSize   CompCPU   CompMem   DecMem
                       -0     256 KiB       0        3 MiB    1 MiB
                       -1       1 MiB       1        9 MiB    2 MiB
                       -2       2 MiB       2       17 MiB    3 MiB
                       -3       4 MiB       3       32 MiB    5 MiB
                       -4       4 MiB       4       48 MiB    5 MiB
                       -5       8 MiB       5       94 MiB    9 MiB
                       -6       8 MiB       6       94 MiB    9 MiB
                       -7      16 MiB       6      186 MiB   17 MiB
                       -8      32 MiB       6      370 MiB   33 MiB
                       -9      64 MiB       6      674 MiB   65 MiB

"DecMem" is the memory needed to decompress (i.e. install the package),
"CompMem" is the memory needed to compress (i.e. create the package).

I think we could use -6 on all architectures without much problem. It's also
the default setting used by xz if you don't specify anything.

> I'd imagine that our CD1s would also get more useful if we'd compress those
> in any case.

Yeah, it's those discussions about our CD1 that led me to push this forward again.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)