Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

On 2011-02-11, Hideki Yamane <henrich@debian.or.jp> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 08:20:02 +0100
> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
>> I have not seen any word about XZ support.
>> When you deployed support for new source package formats, you forbid
>> lzma because xz was coming along and you mentioned that wheezy could have
>> xz enabled.
>> I would like to see xz allowed both for source package and for binary
>> packages.
>  I want XZ support too, at least it reduce size for some font packages.
>  e.g.

Do we have an idea how much more memory xz needs for decompression?  I guess
it wouldn't be feasible to switch dpkg's default on package builds on those
architectures where we assume some more beefyness?

I'd imagine that our CD1s would also get more useful if we'd compress those
in any case.  But then that probably also concerns our core packages where
memory usage might matter.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern