Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:

> On ARM, it's 90MB, I guess MIPS should be similar.
> The man page says 65MB even in -9, but I guess they didn't count in the
> code, libc, buffers and the likes.
>
> Trying to run unmodified Debian on 64MB is a suicide, I'd say the weakest
> type that are going to run stock Debian are chroots on n900, which, with
> 256MB, can handle all the phony stuff together with decompression just fine.
> If you allow for everything but the decompression to be swapped out, even
> 128MB would work reasonably.
>
> Anything lower and you go into emdebian, which repacks all the packages
> anyway.
>
> Thus, I think there are no problems with enabling XZ on all architectures.

My OpenMoko FreeRunner phone is an ARM device that has 128Mb RAM and
runs pure Debian armel. Only time I need to kill things to during an
upgrade is when I'm upgrading the locales package or lintian, creating
locales files seems to take a lot of memory and the process gets
killed sometimes.

--
bye,
pabs