Re: Why is help so hard to find?

On 2011-01-17, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:
> Mike Bird dijo [Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:51:43AM -0800]:
>> That is well known.  KDE 4 maintainers cannot keep up with
>> the bug reports now and will be totally overwhelmed when
>> Squeeze is released.  That is not what people expect of
>> Debian Stable.

a guess is that more than half of the current open bug reports is
actually filed against KDE's 3.x series ...

> Thing is, the KDE project evolved (for better or worse - I don't know,
> as I don't use either) from v3 to v4. Yes, many people disliked the
> change, and started off Trinity. However, the package namespace still

trinity started as a one man effort like a year or two ago. I think
there currently is 2 or 3 active contributors.

> Of course, you and everybody else are welcome to disagree. And had you
> disagreed some months earlier (given the decision is not by far new),

Mike Bird did already back then communicate to the team in his usual
abusive way, only a while after he had done the same to the fedora KDE
people.

> I am sure nobody would have opposed your ITPs to introduce Trinity to
> Debian. And having two migration paths for Lenny's KDE3, there would

that would have required Mike Bird to put his time where his mouth is.

> have been a real possibility for the KDE team to coordinate with the
> Trinity team and offer the pertinent information and way forward for
> users.

I think I (and maybe other Debian-KDE people) objected to do packaging
changes to make things coexisting on the system.

The only people who has had KDE's 3.5 and 4.x series installed on the
same system is distributions like

Suse, because they have had KDE's 3.x series installed under /opt
Gentoo, because they have invented /usr/kde/x.y/ as installation prefix
and some (like kubuntu) temporarily providing things in a /usr/lib/kde4/
installation prefix (including /usr/lib/kde4/lib/kde4 for plugins,
and/usr/lib/kde4/share for arch independant files)

> Of course, that is purely speculative. Right now, we _know_ how
> Squeeze will look like. And it is _impossible_ for it to include
> Trinity, or to have all KDE packages renamed to somehtingelse.

And a different thing that makes trinity packaging a nightmare. Trinity
upstream happily breaks binary compatibility between releases of the
trinity kdelibs.

/Sune