Re: squeeze will have googleearth-package

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 05:58:26PM +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 2011-01-07, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
[...]
> > This means that firmware-linux-nonfree is unlikely to be installed if not
> > needed.  If you were to add in some of the other firmware packages
> > (-atheros, -bnx2, -iwlwifi, -ralink, -realtek) you would see an even
> > larger fraction.  This is unfortunate but not hugely surprising to me.
>
> Popcon as linked from the PTS helpful lists all the binary packages.
>
> Does it get pulled in if non-free is activated during installation?  I.e. is
> there something scanning the hardware again looking at what's needed
> post-install?  (Assuming that you get around installing it without those.)

I think the plan was that any firmware package that is available during
installation and that satisfies a firmware request will get installed.
However, I have not worked on this and I don't know what has actually
been implemented.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings