Re: Linux Mint 12 in Debian?

Le vendredi 30 décembre 2011 à 19:20 +0100, Svante Signell a écrit :
> I'm very reluctant to upgrade to gnome3, I have it on one box, and
> don't like it. I want workspaces related to different tasks, like
> programming, web browsing, watching a video, listening to music, etc.
> That could involve e.g. having terminals, etc running on each
> workspace. Does this hinder several instances of a terminal, web
> browser, etc, to be launched?

You can launch several instances of whatever you like. It’s just the
behavior of dock icons to raise existing windows instead of opening a
new one, but of course you can do it.

> Look like there is a gnome-session-fallback similar to gnome 2
> available. Can it be installed safely, instead of gnome-session?

Yes. This is the “GNOME classic” session, that uses metacity and
gnome-panel.

> Does it use the features of gnome-shell?

No.

> > (Also, I don’t get the “tablet” mention. One of the weaknesses of GNOME
> > Shell compared to e.g. Unity is precisely its behavior on tablets -
> > which is why this is something upstream is working on.)
>
> Please clarify!

GNOME Shell is not the best interface for a touchscreen. It was designed
for keyboard & mouse.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :