Re: Linux Mint 12 in Debian?

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 00:09 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 28 novembre 2011  19:56 +0100, Svante Signell a crit :
> > As many people (including me) are very disappointed in gnome3, switching
> > from a very configurable desktop environment in gnome2 to a almost not
> > configurable tablet one, is there any chance that Debian could supply
> > the Mint version too, with many goodies from gnome3 and a gnome2
> > look-and-feel?

I'm very reluctant to upgrade to gnome3, I have it on one box, and
don't like it. I want workspaces related to different tasks, like
programming, web browsing, watching a video, listening to music, etc.
That could involve e.g. having terminals, etc running on each
workspace. Does this hinder several instances of a terminal, web
browser, etc, to be launched?

> The Mint extensions for GNOME Shell look interesting, although I’m not
> into nostalgic retrofeatures. Feel free to package them, people on
> #debian-gnome can give you advice on this matter.

Look like there is a gnome-session-fallback similar to gnome 2
available. Can it be installed safely, instead of gnome-session? Does it
use the features of gnome-shell? Other alternatives, execept Linux Mint,
including most of gnome, xfce4?

> (Also, I don’t get the “tablet” mention. One of the weaknesses of GNOME
> Shell compared to e.g. Unity is precisely its behavior on tablets -
> which is why this is something upstream is working on.)

Please clarify!