Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 08:53:10AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 26 décembre 2011 à 17:08 -0800, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > If someone would give even *one* example where something legitimately needed
> > by a udev rule could not be moved from /usr to / without breaking interfaces
> > or otherwise complicating matters, then that would be worth discussing.

> Introducing a udev rule that calls a [D-Bus] service?

Do you have a concrete example of how this would be a useful thing to do?
So far I haven't seen the need for it.  Describing things that you *could*
do from udev if /usr could be relied on doesn't explain for why we would
*want* to do it that way.

Also, doesn't launching a dbus service presuppose that dbus-daemon itself is
running?  This sounds like we would be making udev depend on socket-based
service activation to support this (in order to ensure the system bus is
running when udev needs it).  I'm skeptical of the robustness of such an
approach.  For one thing, what if there's disk thrashing at boot time on a
slow system that causes the socket-activated dbus-daemon to exceed udev's
worker timeout?

(Note that for this reason, upstart in Ubuntu exclusively uses the
upstart-udev-bridge to represent such long-running triggers as upstart jobs
keyed on certain udev events, and *not* as udev rules.)