Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 19:03:10 +0800, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 10:25 +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
>
> > BTW do we have debian-live for ARM?  How abut GRML for ARM?
>
> Neither produces ARM live images AFAICT.
>
> > I'd still like to know what the compelling reason for the change is
> > though.
>
> Apparently the reason is simply that our upstreams (who it sounds like
> are predominantly driven by Redhat folks) are dropping support for /
> and /usr on different partitions and that re-adding that support or
> maintaining the existing support is too much work for the Debian
> maintainers involved. At least that is what started the thread.

Yup, I read that bit too.

It would be nice to know a) which packages are actually likely to be
involved, and what sort of breakage we might expect to see if one were
foolish enough to carry on with a separate /usr, and what sorts of
separate /usr might provoke that breakage.

That might allow us to come up with solutions that are not just:

  Everyone must have initramfs, like it or not.

If we could break the problem down a bit, it might allow us to say
something more nuanced, like:

  If you're not using NFS4 for /usr, don't worry about it, but if you
  are, you'll need to make sure that your initramfs supports mounting
  /usr.

at which point most of the nay-sayers would presumably shrug and find
something more interesting to whine about. ;-)

Cheers, Phil.