Re: The mingw* mess in Debian

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:34:00 +0100, Fabian Greffrath <fabian@greffrath.com>
wrote:
> > To provide all the binaries in gcc-mingw32 it will have to depend on
> > {gcc,g++,gfortran}-mingw-w64-i686; its only contents will be the
> > compatibility symlinks you mention (and the usual /usr/share/doc
> > contents). It will pull in mingw-w64-i686-dev indirectly, and
> > binutils-mingw-w64-i686 too.
>
> This sounds like a lot of packages to get lost in. Will you still get
> *everything* if you install the mingw-w64 meta-package?

Yes; even though few people will use the Fortran or Ada compilers, the
mingw-w64 package description states that it provides the full environment
and it will keep on doing so. Users looking for a smaller set of packages
will be able to install gcc-mingw-w64 for example, or even just
gcc-mingw-w64-i686, and that will pull in the relevant mingw-w64-dev and
binutils packages (and g++ will pull in gcc and libstdc++6 etc.).

> > As I understand it having the mingw-w64 package produce a gcc-mingw32
> > package will make the gcc-mingw32 source package disappear eventually...
>
> A prior message to ftp-masters won't hurt, however. ;)

Indeed, I'll do that before uploading!

Regards,

Stephen