Re: Increasing minimum 'i386' processor

On Sun, 2011-11-20 at 15:04 +0100, Vincent Danjean wrote:
> Le 20/11/2011 12:56, Adrian Knoth a écrit :
> > On behalf of the multimedia camp, I'd like to point out that we'd love
> > to see SSE as the lowest common denominator on the x86 platform.
> >
> > I'm fully aware that we can't, not even with i586 being the baseline.
> > Since many multimedia applications don't do runtime CPU detection, only
> > amd64 generally provides decent SIMD support to Debian users on x86
> > these days.
> >

> > Long story short: userspace i386 compatibility would suck for
> > multimedia. ;)
>
> Partial multi-arch aware architectures would be the perfect answer here.
> (ie a i686 archive with only package/libs that are improved by using
> the i686 instruction set)
[...]

Yes, this does sound like a good answer, though I don't believe dak is
ready to support partial architectures yet.  We already have the ability
to install optimised libraries that are selected automatically by the
dynamic linker, but it would be preferable to have them also selected
automatically by APT.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Usenet is essentially a HUGE group of people passing notes in class.