Re: Increasing minimum 'i386' processor

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 08:40:47AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

Hi!

> > 6. DM&P/SiS Vortex86 and Vortex86SX.  These supposedly have all
> >    586-class features except an FPU, and we could probably keep FPU
> >    emulation for them.
>
> FWIW, I do run Debian on such systems albeit with a custom kernel.
> Given those CPU tend to be used in an "embedded" context I guess
> it's ok if the official kernel does not support them. But it would be
> nice if Debian's userspace could be kept compatible.

On behalf of the multimedia camp, I'd like to point out that we'd love
to see SSE as the lowest common denominator on the x86 platform.

I'm fully aware that we can't, not even with i586 being the baseline.
Since many multimedia applications don't do runtime CPU detection, only
amd64 generally provides decent SIMD support to Debian users on x86
these days.

Long story short: userspace i386 compatibility would suck for
multimedia. ;)

Just my €0.02

PS: That's basically why we have packages like ardour-i686.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver