Re: Distribution and support for Debian-502-i386-netinst

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 16:13 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:

> >> Old netinst images generally do not work, since the packages they depend
> >> on may be replaced at point releases.  If you really want Debian 5.0
> >> ('lenny') then you should use the netinst image for the latest point
> >> release, 5.0.9.
> >
> > Which seems like quite a nasty problem.
> >
> > For example: you download the current point release, burn it to a CD
> > preparing to install a bunch of servers the next day...  then suddenly
> > there's a new stable update and installation mysteriously fails.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be better to not delete superseded packages, at least for base?
>
> Actually I have to disagree with Ben there. Netinst images, unlike the
> netboot or businesscard images, are those you can install completly
> without network access so they should always work. The Debian mirror is
> only needed to install additional packages.

Oops, sorry for the misinformation.

> Worst case you install a base system first, then add a mirror to
> sources.list and run tasksel manually.
>

> The real question is why it fails to find any mirror. As a blind guess I
> would think it is because of a key roll-over so the image can not verify
> the signature of the archive anymore.
[...]

A stable release should always be signed with the same key, but there
has been an incorrect roll-over in the past (which was fixed but may
have regressed).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The world is coming to an end.	Please log off.