Re: Two groups of users, one distro in the middle

On 11/15/2011 01:48 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:14 AM, Alex Pennace wrote:
>
>> Even without that point, the conclusion remains the same: Both
>> projects should endure the rename (unless one concedes), and that
>> shouldn't be viewed in terms of "look at what those meanies in Debian
>> are making us do" but instead regarded as a natural outcome of the
>> choices each project made at various times.
>
> I personally wonder if we should change our policy instead of forcing
> these two upstream communities into conflict.

I think we should for these cases where it is obvious that one software
exists for a much longer time than the other. We should not force old
projects to rename themselves just because the developers of a new
project did not investigate if they use an existing name. Checking
filenames of the largest distributions is not hard.

 GPG Fingerprints: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F