Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 09:44:15AM +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> Yes I agree. But wich $TMPDIR should we use ? /var/tmp does not fit
> because it is not cleaned at boot. And the problem is the default have
> changed. I do not excuse sloppy programmer. but we need something like
> a standard tmp dir that is file backed and cleaned every boot.

You can, on the systems you administer, do one of the following:

* disable tmpfs for /tmp and arrange /tmp to have enough disk space
  for all the things you run on your system; you can, for example,
  mount a whole separate filesystem as /tmp, from a RAID-0 array
  of several SSD drives, if you wish

* set TMPDIR to point at /var/tmp, or another filesystem,
  either globally, or per user, or when starting particular
  programs that need lots of temporary file space; you can, further,
  arrange to have whatever directory that points at to be cleaned
  at boot time; if you have the energy, you could even add a
  configuration option to /etc/init.d/mountall-bootclean.sh to allow
  the sysadmin to specify more directories to be cleaned at boot time,
  rather than a hard-coded list (this would help others in your
  situation in the future)

Either will solve your problem. Neither is a particularly good
default for Debian to have. This is one of those situations, it
seems to me, where there is no solution that satisfies everyone.

--
Freedom-based blog/wiki/web hosting: http://www.branchable.com/