Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-12 at 22:24 +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recently debian put /tmp under tmpfs.
>>
>> Even if it increase reponsivness under desktop, it ruin completly
>> sciene and imaging software that do some off loading on /tmp.
>>
>> For instance using gscan2pdf on 60pages document create more than 1.2G
>> of image file under /tmp and crash du to missing space.
>>
>> What are the solution for this kind of problem ?
>
> This problem has little to do with use of tmpfs; it is not reasonable to
> assume that /tmp has that much space.  Programs should generally allow
> use of /tmp to be overridden by $TMPDIR and should handle disk-full
> errors gracefully.

Yes I agree. But wich $TMPDIR should we use ? /var/tmp does not fit
because it is not cleaned at boot. And the problem is the default have
changed. I do not excuse sloppy programmer. but we need something like
a standard tmp dir that is file backed and cleaned every boot.

Bastien