Re: directory under /usr/bin -- Ok or not?

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 12:24:35 +1100
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:

> On 7 November 2011 11:26, Andreas Bombe <aeb@debian.org> wrote:
> > The sftp-server on the other hand is provided by the package that
> > also contains its only caller AFAICS. That should be
> > in /usr/lib/$PACKAGE together with other package specific binary
> > stuff — it doesn't make a difference whether it's linked,
> > dlopen()ed or exec()ed.
>
> I think we are talking about /usr/lib, not /usr/lib/$PACKAGE (?).
>
> On my Ubuntu system /usr/lib already has some binaries, although some
> might be just for backward compatibility:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2011-07-30 02:02 /usr/lib/sftp-server ->
> openssh/sftp-server*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 2011-10-07 15:20 /usr/lib/sendmail ->
> ../sbin/sendmail*

This is mandated by the fhs 2.x

/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/fhs/fhs-2.3.txt.gz :
> Specific Options
>
> For historical reasons, /usr/lib/sendmail must be a symbolic link
> to /usr/sbin/ sendmail if the latter exists. [24]

Removing it for 3.x was discussed, i don't remember the result offhand.

> /usr/lib has so many files, maybe there might be performance reasons
> for splitting it up, depending on what filesystem you have?

FYI, /usr/libexec was discussed in deb-dev in 2005 [1], and
performance was mentioned a couple of times ([2] being an example).
You'll have to browse the thread to see the arguments for/against :)

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg00401.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg00434.html
thanks,
kk