Re: Possible mass bug filling for package depending on "menu".

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 01:14:59PM +0100, Frank lin Piat wrote:
> > On Sun 30/10/11 11:31 , Daniel Baumann  wrote::
> > > On 10/29/2011 08:49 PM, Frank lin Piat wrote:
> >> I intend to submit a mass bug filling to ask packages maintainer to drop or
> >> downgrade their dependency on "menu":
> >
> >[...]
> >
> > packages that need root have to use su-to-root in order to play well on
> > live systems (where you know at runtime if sudo, su, gksu, $whatever has
> > to be used). your package list contains such cases. [..]
>
> What about moving the su-to-root binary to a different binary package ?
> Bill what's your PoV about spliting it ?

I am not very keen creating a new Debian package for a 3kB script.

I already answered that numerous time. See bugs #535064 and #514882.  Making
Debian-specific changes to .desktop files should be avoided if possible, since
they cannot be merged upstream. So it would be better if xdg-utils would
provide a script xdg-su that could be used by .desktop files and works on all
XDG systems, not just Debian.

The real issue is that nobody is really maintaining the XDG menu system.

Cheers,
Bill.