Re: Dealing with embedded javascript libraries

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>, 2011-10-26, 18:47:
For instance I just noticed that we can't install new widgets with the current wordpress package due to some javascript related problem. I'm not familiar enough with the codebase to investigate it easily. I can't ask upstream about it because it works with the version of the libraries that they are shipping.
Why you can't? Do they bite if you do?

For the very same reason we don't like Ubuntu bugs that have not been reproduced on Debian.

If the bug looks like "foo doesn't work on Ubuntu!!1one", then indeed it won't be welcome. Even if I wanted to help the poor little user, surely I won't bother to install Ubuntu to debug the problem.

On the other hand, I do appreciate "If you upgrade baz to 3.14 and turn on quux (incidentally, this is what we did in Ubuntu), foo explodes" bugs. This is something I can try to reproduce in a (modified) Debian environment. And maybe it's something worth fixing, because some day Debian will have baz 3.14, and enabling quux might be not such a bad idea after all.

That said, I acknowledge that this is delicate matter. That's why I asked if your upstream bite. ;)

--
Jakub Wilk