Re: Possible mass bug filling for package depending on "menu".

Frank lin Piat <fpiat@klabs.be> writes:
> On Sun 30/10/11 11:31 , Daniel Baumann  wrote::

>> packages that need root have to use su-to-root in order to play well on
>> live systems (where you know at runtime if sudo, su, gksu, $whatever
>> has to be used). your package list contains such cases. [..]

> What about moving the su-to-root binary to a different binary package ?
> Bill what's your PoV about spliting it ?

We've had this discussion many times, unfortunately, without any forward
progress at all.  Bill would like there to be an xdg-su or the like that
is part of xdg-utils.  xdg-utils upstream doesn't want to support anything
like that because they prefer PolicyKit (as I understand it).  Clint isn't
interested in adding a sensible-su with similar functionality to
sensible-utils.  Bill wasn't interested in splitting menu in the absence
of one of those more general solutions.

We're at an impasse and have been for about three years.

> As a side benefit, if su-to-root were not inside menu, I guess that many
> package would depend on it, rather than depending directly on gksu or
> kdesudo as they currently do...

Yes.  Which then forces people to use the version not from their native
desktop environment when they're using a GNOME program on KDE or vice
versa, and therefore isn't ideal, even apart from the issues with live
systems.