Re: Dealing with embedded javascript libraries

W dniu 27.10.2011 00:46, Michael Gilbert pisze:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Zygmunt Krynicki wrote:
If anything, having one version of a javascript library *hurts*
Debian-as-a-platform. I would encourage a different approach altogether:
explicit mutli-versioning (ideally for all upstream releases or for all
upstream releases that are known to introduce features and are not emergency
bug/security fixes) and explicit version dependency that matches upstream.
That later requirement may be ignored if uptream is not responding or the
application is known to work correctly with another version of a library.

There isn't any real technical factor limiting the number of versions
to one.  Theoretically, there could both jquery1.4 and jquery1.6
source packages coexisting (as long as the binary files are
appropriately versioned as well).  Thus if wordpress only works with
1.4, then it can use that temporarily until it gets updated to support
1.6 (or whatever the problem it was that started this discussion).

Anyway, it's all solvable (given volunteers actually interested in
doing the work to do it).

Is there anyone that would like to mentor me for a while to help me get started? I'm quite interested in solving this problem.

Best regards
Zygmunt Krynicki