Re: Dealing with embedded javascript libraries

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> And with _javascript_ libraries, there's no failure at build time,
> you only discover much later when something is not working...

This is the crux of the issue and it is not specific to _javascript_
libraries, anything that is interpreted has this issue. I'm pretty
sure I've seen API breakage in libraries implemented in Python for
example.

I agree.

So far it seems I have been pretty lucky with my package witty, which depends on jquery but upstream is not really happy Debian and Ubuntu replace the jquery version they have tested with.

> What are your thoughts on this topic?

One of the other problems with embedded _javascript_ libraries is that
often only the pre-compiled/obfuscated/minified version is
distributed, which would be a violation of DFSG item 2.

IMHO that should not be a problem provided that:
- The _javascript_ library is open source with the proper license, etc
- Upstream is using the _javascript_ library "as is" (i. e. with no local modifications)

Maybe README.Debian should mention "this package embeds the _javascript_ library XXX which is available independently in package libjs-XXX (source package: libjs-XXX) :-?

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org