Re: Dealing with embedded javascript libraries

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011, Paul Wise wrote:
> > And with javascript libraries, there's no failure at build time,
> > you only discover much later when something is not working...
> This is the crux of the issue and it is not specific to JavaScript
> libraries, anything that is interpreted has this issue. I'm pretty
> sure I've seen API breakage in libraries implemented in Python for
> example.
> More automated and manual testing can help here I guess.

yeap -- in python world the situation is generally better because
unittesting is easy and popular, so for nearly all python packages I
maintain I introduce package build-time unittesting against all
supported versions of Python.  That helps A LOT to assure correct
performance especially having heavy backporting in mind (we usually
build nearly for all recent releases of debian and ubuntu within
neuro.debian.net project).

Sure thing not all projects have 100% unittest coverage, also
problems some times go unnoticed if it is arch 'all' package while has
some arch specific operations (I/O, byteswapping) which do not get
picked up unless they get excercised by unittests of dependent modules
with packages of arch 'any'...  but altogether there testing is
indispensable to verify compatibility of API and just general QA.

So, if only we could provide relevant automated basic testing to those
JS-dependent packages...