Re: RFC: usb-modeswitch 1.2.0 release embedding jimtcl

Hi!

On 10/18/2011 01:36 PM, Didier Raboud wrote:
> 1) "Forget about jimtcl, rely on existing tcl interpreters"
>
>     This is mostly "repacking to avoid the embedded jimtcl copy", "no
>     packaging of it, go on as is done currently; by relying on existing tcl
>     interpreters.
>     Pros: easy, straightforward,avoids the binary embedding of jimtcl.
>     Cons: does not solve the "desktop install needs tcl interpreter".
>
> 2) "Allow interpretation using separate jimtcl"
>
>     This means packaging jimtcl and allow usb-modeswitch to depend on it
>     (That, plus "repacking to avoid the embedded jimtcl copy")
>     Pros: relatively easy, avoids the binary embedding of jimtcl.
>     Cons: replaces the need of the desktop install on a "tcl interpreter" to
>           "jimtcl". Although it's probably smaller.

As  network-manager is the reason why usb-modeswitch is in the default desktop
install (which makes sense) - does size really matter here? NM pull in a lot of
libraries and tools, without checking it I'd guess that adding tcl or jimtcl as
dependency doesn't make it worse as it is.

Cheers,

Bernd