Re: / vs. /usr vs. fsck(8)

* Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> [111014 07:49]:
> On Donnerstag, 13. Oktober 2011, brian m. carlson wrote:
> > If / and /boot are the same filesystem, then using a filesystem that the
> > bootloader supports is important.  At least in the recent past, grub 2
> > didn't support booting off ext4; there was some problem when doing that.
> > If /usr is a separate filesystem, I can use ext4 there and leave / ext3.
>
> just two days ago I installed a system with no /boot partition, and / und /usr
> on ext4. Booted fine with grub2. / is a raid1.

I think the point Brian is trying to make is not whether or not this
particular case works, but that new filesystems are occasionally
developed and put into use, and there is usually a point where the new
filesystem is ready for extensive use on non-mission-critical systems by
a larger user base, but is not fully supported by boot loaders and/or is
not quite stable enough to trust as a root filesystem for recovery
purposes when the occasional glitch does happen.

(Though it is good to know that grub 2 supports ext4.)

...Marvin